Since 1929… a brief history
In 1929 a local fire fighter who recharged and serviced fire extinguishers out of his basement in Kalamazoo, Michigan established Approved Fire Protection Company. Read more…
The owner’s son-in-law Jon Thompson, a successful entrepreneur, became involved in the 40s and 50s and the business’s growth accelerated.
Jon first added engineered fire suppression systems to the foray of other products and services offered at the time. In those early days, Approved Fire Protection was the only company outside of the Detroit area to design, install, and service engineered systems, winning awards from automotive companies, cereal companies, and several “Dealer of the Year” awards from suppliers. The product line was further extended with the addition of fire alarm and monitoring systems.
In 1987 John Lewandowski was hired as operations manager, and subsequently bought the company in 1990. Since then, the company has grown and added offices in Michigan and Indiana. We offer our customers a large selection of product lines, and we have worked with some manufacturers for more than fifty years. Because of these longstanding relationships we know the products and companies inside and out, and we know we are offering our customers products they can rely on. In 2012, the company’s name was changed to Approved Protection Systems to better reflect its growing product lines (fire, safety, security, and first aid).